Microsoft Dynamics AX MRP and Master Planning
Master Planning in Microsoft Dynamics AX exchanges information
with other functionality inside the solution, including production,
logistics, trade and CRM, helping streamline your manufacturing
processes and supply chain. In addition, Master Planning in
Microsoft Dynamics AX can be run for inter-company transactions,
can help you reduce costs, satisfy your customer demands, and
improve your overall business performance.
Optimize production flow
By utilizing the information possessed within your company and
associated supply chain, Master Planning in Microsoft Dynamics AX can
help you optimize production, material planning and scheduling. Finite
material and capacity scheduling can be performed at the same time so
that available capacity, inventory levels and purchase and transportation
lead times are taken into consideration in your production planning. This
helps you plan purchase, production and transfer orders more reliably,
which can help you optimize your production flow and provide on-time
delivery to your customers.
Use sales order explosion functionality to perform master scheduling on
a single sales order which helps you plan faster and quickly promise
your customers a reliable delivery date.
Flexible planning results in increased efficiency
Use different master plans to run online simulations and what-if
scenarios, so you can foresee the impact of different sales forecasts and
planning strategies. You can run master scheduling in a fast, net change
mode where only the latest changes are included in the calculations.
This allows you to run materials and production planning as often as
needed, so you can always have an up-to-date picture of the net
Outsource production with ease
Master Planning in Microsoft Dynamics AX helps you outsource
production to sub-contractors whenever you need to. You can also
model sub-contractor capacity levels in the system and quickly
implement make or buy strategies throughout the planning process. This
benefits both you and the customer; freeing your capacity and helping
you keep delivery promises.
Quickly respond to changes
Action messages suggest changes to purchase and production orders
based on changing requirements, helping you to optimize inventory
levels and improve production flow. Additionally, future messages
provide notification of the earliest possible delivery date, so that you can
quickly take action on sales orders to maintain customer satisfaction.
You can also increase the efficiency and accuracy of planning with time
fences, which help ensure that procedures are carried out at the correct
time according to your manufacturing policies.
Deliver on time
Avoid making delivery promises you cannot keep by running available-topromise
(ATP) calculations based on available inventory and current
production orders, as well as capable-to-promise (CTP) calculations
based on raw material lead-times and production capacity.
Minimize inventory levels to reduce costs
Cut down on unnecessary inventory carrying costs while still meeting
your customers’ delivery demands. Forecast scheduling in Master
Planning in Microsoft Dynamics AX uses sales forecasts to project
production and purchasing plans that are closely matched with demand.
You may also optimize your safety stock levels based on either target
service levels or on lead time coverage. Include seasonal deviation in
product sales when calculating safety stock to further refine inventory
Function seamlessly across warehouses
Further optimize your production planning by sourcing materials from
across multiple warehouses. Master Planning in Microsoft Dynamics AX
can operate with any number of warehouses and automatically
generates transfer orders to fulfill inventory requirements. In addition,
you can set up each warehouse with individual parameters to help
ensure correct levels of safety stock and service at different locations.
- Minimize lead times and
deliveries to customers
- Respond quickly to
changes in demand for
materials and capacity
- Reduce inventory levels
production planning and
- Finite capacity schedule
at order taking
Multiple forecast and
- Support of multiple plans for forecast and master scheduling
- Support of master scheduling for intercompany
- Use multiple plans to simulate material and capacity requirements based on
Forecast & master
- Based on sales and purchase forecasts
- Gives you an overview of long-term purchase, production and resource
- Provides you with an overview of short-term purchase, production and resource
requirements based on existing orders and/or forecast scheduling
- The result is planned production, purchase, transfer, intercompany orders and
- A coverage group enables different time fence controls to be attached to
different items/item groups
- The coverage group contains all item planning parameters
- Coverage codes are inventory replenishment rules. Options for different
coverage codes include: Manual, Min/max, Period, and Requirement.
Master Planning in Microsoft Dynamics AX supports two different levels of
scheduling: operations scheduling and job scheduling. Scheduling options include:
- finite or infinite capacity machines, employees and tools, and materials
- backwards or forwards scheduling
- detailed scheduling by day, hours and minutes.
- Planned purchase, production and transfer orders are the result of master
planning. They can be modified, deleted or accepted, firmed and approved.
- Future messages flag orders that cannot be delivered on the requested date.
The future message is the earliest possible delivery date based on materials
and capacity requirements.
Action messages are used to reduce inventory. They suggest changes to existing
orders and planned orders to:
- increase or decrease quantity
- postpone or advance the order
- or a combination of the above.
- Gives you visibility over the entire master scheduling requirements. View by day,
week or month
- Sales order explosion gives you the ability to break down a BOM item, and
calculate an earliest possible delivery date based on route and incoming items
- Available-to-promise (ATP): calculates delivery date based on available
inventory and current production orders.
- Capable-to-promise (CTP): calculates delivery date based on available
materials and production capacity.
For More Information
If you are evaluating ERP solutions or for assistance on implementing Microsoft Dynamics AX email us at email@example.com